Questions? Comments? E-mail me at AmbassadorJordan@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cows: Train Engineers of the Future

I was checking out the list of the 50 best inventions of 2010.  The list included things like the iPad, a lifeguard robot, spray-on fabric, and lab-grown lungs, all of which are incredibly interesting.  There was one invention in particular that caught my eye: Amtrak's Beef-Powered Train.  I had to investigate...

Apparently, Amtrak is researching a beef-based bio-fuel. They are going to be testing the train for one year on a track that runs from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City.  How completely crazy is that?!  A train that is powered by cows... the fuel is made from the beef byproducts, so it shouldn't affect the price of hamburger, but perhaps the price of hotdogs.  And the smell... would the train produce an awful, wretched, rotten meat smell, or would it be more like grilled steaks?  I guess I'll find out since the train blares by my apartment twice an hour.

The use of the bio-fuel is reported to reduce hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions by 10 percent, particulates by 15 percent, and sulphates by 20 percent compared to regular diesel.  After the one-year testing period, Amtrak will analyze the statistics of the actual emissions.

I've attached some links for videos and articles about the technology.  Warning:  refrain from eating while watching or reading!