Questions? Comments? E-mail me at AmbassadorJordan@gmail.com

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Why I am not a doctor...

WARNING:  This story get's a little graphic

For the longest time, I thought I should be a doctor.  I was frequently bandaging and kissing Barbie's owies and listening to my dog's heart with my Fisher Price stethoscope.  The first time I saw my dad smash his finger with a hammer, the doctor thing quickly went away.  I don't do blood.

This past weekend, I was reassured that I was taking the right path studying engineering rather than pre-med.
My friends and I were at my apartment playing sand volleyball.  I'm pretty new to the game, but for the most part, I was doing well.  Then the Murphy's Law part of the day occurred... I hit the ball far left rather than over the net.  That sent my two teammates (one of them being my boyfriend) running after the ball.  They collided full force.  It sounded like a boulder hitting the ground after falling ten stories.  But they were men, so they got up and tried to walk it off.  After the next serve, my boyfriend Jared told me his ankle was starting to hurt.  I looked at it and watched as a cue ball grew from his ankle.  There was a little white part starting to show through, and the teammates started shouting, "Oh my gosh, his bone is about to poke through his skin."  At that point, I turned and sprinted away.  Now, if you know me at all, you know that I don't run.  I don't jog.  I don't walk briskly.  But that day, I know I broke the record for fastest sprint.  Today, I'm still not sure why I ran.  I had to play it off, though, so I ran to my apartment and grabbed a bag of ice.  Being the nerd that I am, I grabbed a towel to wrap around the bag of ice so it would last longer in the sun.  I sprinted back to my injured boyfriend.  When I got back to the volleyball courts, I was very surprised to see him standing around.  I looked at his leg which was now covered with blood.  Down I went, face first into the sand.  You see, I have very very bad asthma.  I'm guessing that sprinting the length of 3 football fields in record time induced the attack, and the sight of blood finished me off.

Now, a third person had to get involved.  Luckily, we had a friend with us who knew I had asthma.  She ran to my car and got my inhaler for me.  After a couple puffs, I could finally breathe.

Clearly, I am not cut out to be a doctor or an athlete, but I'm perfectly happy inventing things that will improve the lives of doctors and athletes!